New Years Resolutions Lack Resolve

Every year we make new years resolutions, filled with lofty ambitions and hope, but by the end of the year we realize that our hope died about February and we never accomplished those goals.  We ask ourselves, "what went wrong?"
Resolve.  There wasn't enough of it in the first place.  You have to really want to change, own it, be it, do it.  Deep in your gut you have to want to take the cake (or not take the cake).

Five things that increase my resolve:

  1. Look at successful people.
Successful people are successful for a reason.  They got the motivation to do what they had to, usually each day.  "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass." Alma 37:6

    2.  Make a decision.
You can't be determined if you're still on the fence about what you want.  You have to know what you want to go after it.

    3.  Think of five reasons you want that result each day.
Five is a pretty magical number, but if that doesn't work move to ten. You need to remember why you wanted it.  If you forget, you stop wanting it bad enough to do the hard stuff.

    4.  Talk to people about what you are doing and what you have already accomplished.
This is in part based off the reward system and in part based off a desire to meet expectations, perhaps save face.  It's really awkward the next time you see them to say, "no I didn't do what I was planning on doing because I was lazy."

    5. Don't get discouraged
So you ate an entire cake and half a pie yesterday.  Today is a new day.  Forgive yourself and move on.  Be better today.  I focus on one thing and say, my day will be successful if I just do this.  Some days are unsuccessful but it's okay, that doesn't mean the next day is ruined.

So this week, before New Years, I'm going to find my resolve.  I challenge you to do the same.

Comments

Popular Posts